Chickering Square Grands Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:58:15 -0400

You wrote:

> I forgot to mention in my previous post that when you restore a square
> grand, you must make all new springs.  The vellum jack springs require
> something that looks like a shorter upright hammer butt spring.  The flange
> jack found in later hulking squares takes a small coiled expansion spring
> about 1/4" long and as big around as a pencil lead.  These have to connect
> to cord loops imbedded in the wood with the other end of the spring running
> through wood.

Why do you have to make all new springs? Do these break easily? All appear to be quite well and functional on my Woodward & Brown. In this particular case I am only "refurbishing" the action - bushings, hammers, regulation, and little else - the state of wear of this action is on a par with a lightly used 50 year old piano - it is really is quite nice shape. Unfortunately, the owners of this piano are more interested in the appearance of the piano rather than its performance. The only way I could talk them into restringing it was to point out the cosmetic benefits! Go figure.

Terry Farrell