Fees - revisited

William R. Monroe pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:55:42 -0600

Ted,

I think you make a valid point - that the experienced tech should not be =
shooting themself in the foot as their skill increases.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and presume that there will be those who =
agree with charging by the job (with a basis on hours, similar to auto =
service), those who promote charging actual time regardless, and lots in =
between.

Personally, I think the the piano industry allows us a freedom to =
determine our fees as we choose.  I think TO SOME DEGREE we owe it to =
our clients to charge them based on actual hours for a job.  I also =
think it is not unreasonable to charge a set fee for a particular job.  =
>From the clients perspective, the same work gets done either way.  With =
an experienced tech, it is simply done in less time (yeah, and probably =
better).  As a new tech, I guess I lean more toward a price per job, =
understanding that the extra time I take is my incentive to get more =
skilled so that I can do more work in less time and thus, make more =
money.

Bottom line for me is no hard and fast rule of fee scheduling.  I hope =
that as long as I am in the piano service industry we do not get =
regulations like those of the auto industry.  Tighter regulations have =
advantages, to be sure, but I think our current freedoms outweigh those. =
 In the meantime, work hard, charge fairly, and maintain your integrity.

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate
Salt Lake City, UT =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20