Fees - revisited

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:33:33 -0700

In the end, the consumer doesn't really care how long it takes you to do a
job; they simply want to know how much it will cost and that you do quality
work. I think that it is more comfortable for the consumer if they
understand that a "standard" job will generally cost a certain amount. If
the job turns out not to be standard, then the consumer should understand
why it will cost more to ensure a certain level of quality. Neither the
technician nor the consumer wants to feel cheated out of time and money. A
fair pricing structure will make both parties feel comfortable.

The end result should not necessarily be based on the amount of time taken.
But in the long run, time is a very important issue when a technician prices
a job. If you spend 6 hours on a tuning and only charge $100, it will be
very difficult for you to make a living. But at the same time, charging $600
would be disproportional to the final result. There are a number of issues
that should be balanced when ascertaining the value of the final work.

Doing a job quickly allows you to make more money by being able to schedule
more jobs. This only works if you have a standard price for a job. If you
charge by the hour, there is little incentive to work faster.

Bradley M. Snook