aural/electronic tuning and PTG rules

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:59:36 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> wrote:

> > By the way, what's the best way to find out exactly what the RPT tests
> > involve and how they are scored?...
>
> Become a CTE

Ah, good idea. I'll try that... :)

The info on the ptg web site is fairly good, but it doesn't tell what the
criteria are for deducting points. The reason I care is because I'd like
to know how good I need to get when I'm practicing. Not necessarily for
the RPT tests, but just for being able to tune well. For example, if I can
get most notes within 1 cent in the temperament, is that a pretty good
temperament? It would be helpful to have some standard to try to live up
to. I think I can grade myself on the RPT test using TuneLab, so I could
try that. I can also ask my local CTE, as was suggested.

Now, as for using ETDs, here's what I could find from the PTG website:

===========================
The Tuning Exam is scored in eight sections over two parts: Part 1, with
pitch, temperament and midrange sections, and Part 2, with bass, treble,
high treble, stability and unisons sections. You need to score at least
80% in each section to pass. In Part 1, you aurally tune the middle two
octaves, using a non-visual pitch source to set A4 at A440. In Part 2, you
may tune the remaining octaves by any method you choose, and after the
stability test you complete the exam by aurally tuning midrange unisons.

>From this info, it appears you need to tune the middle two octaves
aurally, but you can use an ETD for the remaining octaves.

Charles