Charging for Pitch Raises

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:34:34 -0400

    Bill, there are a lot of variables involved in how stable a piano =
might be after a pitch raise and fine tuning.  The major one in my mind =
is how far out was it to begin with.  The worst I've seen was 3 =
semitones flat.  After tuning one note, the next one up in chromatic =
sequence (untuned) was in perfect harmony a third below the one I'd just =
tuned!!  WOW.  I'm sure this piano would be drifting flat within 2 weeks =
even after a pitch raise and tune.  That brings up another point.  How =
many technicians raise pitch in increments in this case?  I find no =
reason not to yank each string over pitch by 1/3 of the flatness no =
matter how flat it is.  String breakage does not seem to be a problem, =
and 40-50 cents over is not unusual.  However in talking to those in our =
Syracuse chapter leaving the piano below pitch, or raising in 10-20 cent =
steps until the proper pitch is reached it most common.  Any comments?   =
  Mike Kurta  PNO2NER
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 3:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Charging for Pitch Raises

  Mike and List,

  If one properly pitch raises an instrument, and finishes with a solid =
fine tuning, is there validity saying that the instrument will not hold =
this tuning as well as if it were tuned regularly?  I was under the =
impression that in this scenario, the instrument would hold tune well, =
perhaps only slightly less well than a regularly serviced instrument on =
which PR are not needed or performed.

    ----- Original Message -----=20