Charging for Pitch Raises

William R. Monroe pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:01:12 -0600

Mike, Terry, and others,

I concur with Terry Farrell re: how far above pitch to pull a string.  I =
have read and heard that unneccessary damage can be done by =
overstretching a string (breaking strings, etc.).  Twenty five cents =
above pitch seems safe, and I probably would try not to go above that.  =
I also agree that by going farther, we would be trying to anticipate a =
drop that is getting too big to obtain accurately.  Indeed, why not =
simply do two passes and be much closer with less chance of string =
breakage/damage?

It is interesting how many do not charge separately for a pitch raise.  =
Personally, I do.  I charge for each additional pass beyond a standard =
tuning.  I think it is fair and just to charge a standard rate for a =
standard tuning and add fees as appropriate for additional work.  I also =
remind clients that by keeping their instrument regularly serviced and =
up to pitch, we can avoid this scenario (very diplomatically, of =
course).

I am intrigued by the thought of charging a fee for a time period, and =
including whatever in that allotted time (tuning, PR, minor regulations, =
etc.)  I'm not doing it yet, just exploring ideas.

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate
Salt Lake City, UT