Shop update

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:10:58 -0700

An update on our new shop...

The architect has at last finished and we have the complete blue prints.
 At this point it is in the hands of the structural engineer who needs
to detail all of the framing and load calculations.  Simultaneously a
truss company will finish the roof engineering which is coordinated with
the structural.  The slab and level details are finished and the
plot/grading engineer will complete his work ASAP.

Now we need to get electrical straightened out.  In order to tie the
shop into our home system we need to replace the existing panel which is
currently rated at 200 amps.  A minimum of 400 amps is required.  Next a
buried line will need to run about 200 feet to the shop where it will go
into the shop panel.  This is the most complicated portion of the
electrical because the power company will need to shut off the power
from the street on a 24 hour permit while the panel is replaced.  To
save money I will rent a trenching machine and dig the ditch for the
conduit myself.

The electricians want a ridiculous amount of money to wire the shop so I
will do the job myself.  In order to do this I will require an
electrical engineer to draw out the details and calculations for
submittal for the permit.  I lucked out on that one.  I located an
electrical engineering student through the university who will be able
to do the job for me.  This will save a tremendous amount of money.
 There will be a generous helping of 115 and 230 volt outlets throughout.

Next we need a soil test.  This is where an engineer comes out and takes
core samples to test for compacting requirements for the pad.  When this
is done all of the above plans, engineering, and reports will be ready
for submittal for permits.  It is mind numbing how many engineers and
designers are required to build a piano shop!!!!!!  (Yes, this is all
very expensive!)

There will be 10' ceilings with open trusses so it should be very roomy.
 You could probably easily put a full sized basketball court in the
place with room for spectators.  There will be a 12' X 9' roll up door.
 We will want a fully insulated door since we plan on having central
AC/Heating.  To my amazement the so called "insulated doors" are lousy.
 They have an average R value of 9.  Instead we will buy a non insulated
door and then install our own insulation later and cover the inside with
masonite.  This will be significantly better.  All other walls and the
roof will be generously stuffed with R-19 which should make it plenty
comfy cozy year round.  The shop's nine windows will be double glazed as
will the ten 2' x 4' skylights.  The exterior will be stucco further
enhancing the insulation.

I have been planning this shop for nearly 15 years and it is truly
amazing to see it actually materializing!  I will continue the updates
as we go.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV