Charging for Pitch Raises

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:29:28 -0500

 << How in the world to people do pitch raises in 10-15 minutes????????????
 les bartlett >>

>Les, when I first heard this I thought...yea..ok.
>
>No one ever said 'pitch raising' was 'fine tuning'..they're 2 different
>animal species..and yes it is possible...one pin at a time.
>
>-Phil Bondi (Fl.)

Something about these eternal pitch raising discussions has been bothering
me for a long time and while I'm not picking on either Les or Phil (fine
fellows, both), this looks like as good an opportunity as any I'll ever get
- so...

A piano can't be tuned well unless it's already in tune. A piano that's
more than four cents flat needs a pitch raise. Pitch raises are done in
fifteen minutes or less. The pitch raise isn't a tuning, it's just intended
to get the tensions up close to where they need to be.

So five cents flat isn't close enough but a ten or fifteen minute
non-critical rough-in from thirty, or even fifteen cents away will be. I
don't know about you, but I would love to see someone do, say, a 20 cent
pitch raise in under 15 minutes leaving the entire piano with no string
more than 3 cents off pitch. That would impress me. I would be even more
impressed to see someone pitch raise and tune six practice room studios
from a quite common 16 cents low, taking fifteen minutes or less per pitch
raise with no single string more than 3 cents off pitch after each pitch
raise. For that matter, I'd be impressed if someone could do it at any
speed and leave each string in each piano less than three cents off pitch
after the TUNING! That is, if anyone could decide what "on-pitch" is in the
treble in the first place.

This isn't the only thing bothering me about the discussion, but it will do
for the moment. I'll get to the rest eventually.

Ron N