Soundboard Installation & MC

Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:24:26 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Now, don't get me wrong. I think M&H pianos are good instruments. And they
> are certainly built as well as most anything else out there today. But the
> so-called Centripital Tension Resonator still does not support soundboard
> crown or assure its longevity.

Well I'm not taking sides here... I am just pointing out that they have a
different story to tell, tho undoubtably the website I refered to is somewhat
popularized for ease of comprehension. Im sure they have better arguements to
put on the table if they are first in need of doing so.

> This whole argument rests on two assumptions:  (1)  Wood is not compressible
> in its end-grain plane. But, of course, it is. Both under brief loadings if
> the applied stress is high enough and under long-term loadings even at very
> low stress levels. And, (2)  As string downforce is applied to the bridges
> the ribs act as a true rigid (architectural) arch. They do not. Soundboard
> ribs are made of wood, not concrete or stone. As such they have compliance
> and they distort under the downward stress of the string downforce.

Yes, I have read your reasoning, and it seems fine enough... but then so does
theirs when it comes down to it... Funny thing is you see... it costs them a
good deal of extra time and effort to install one of these things.. If it is so
ineffective relative to its stated purpose then it seems quite nonsensical for
them to continue such a non cost effective proceedure. Again, I am not taking
sides... just pointing out that it seems apparent that there are sides to
take..... if one first wanted to .... grin.... take sides that is.. :)

> M&H piano soundboard assemblies will undoubtedly hold their crown for many
> years. But it will be because they use a nicely radiused rib, not because of
> the Centripital Tension Resonator in the belly.

Have you told them this ?... just curious.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.