keybed not level

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 05:52:53 EDT

josephspiano@attbi.com writes:

> List,
> The problem:
> Customer said his keys didn't feel like his teacher's piano. Turned out
> that the key dip was about a fat 3/16" for most of the middle of the piano.
> This is one of those pianos: A "Grand"  console. It appears that the keybed
> has sagged. Can any of you suggest an in home repair for the situation? I
> know, most of you will say this is a POS or something like that, but it's
> the only piano the poor child will have for a few years at this point. I
> suppose I could just shim up the balance rail, but the original problem
> will still be there. Any suggestions?
> Joseph Alkana  RPT

Joe

The problem is that the keybed is not anchored to the plate. If you look
under most keybeds, you will see a protrusion from the plate on which the key
bed sits. The keybed is actually screwed to it. On "Grands", and other
cheapies, there is no protrusion. (I guess to save a buck or two.)

If you just shim the balance rail, there is a good chance the keybed will
continue to bow down, or, with changes in humidity, will actually bow up,
which creates more problems.

Several people have already offered their suggestion  of bolting a piece of
angle iron to the back of the key bed. This will permanently solve the
problem.

Wim