OFF (*was: neurology)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:37:07 EDT

Don writes:

>string players do not aim for "just" thirds when they double stop. For
>example g4 b4. We would tune the G to the g3 and the b4 to e5. That leaves
>some kind of third.

Ah,  so the pitch of B is the same, no matter what key the string player is
playing in?

>What Susan is speaking of is melodic intonation. It
>mirrors what one does with one's voice if you sing a diatonic scale. I.E.
>7th, 6th, and 3rd sharp.

Hmm,  the melodic quality of expression seems to require that singers inflect
their pitches depending on what the music is doing,  how is that possible if
there is only one pitch for any given note?      (I have sat in the audience
with my SAT and I KNOW that a nice sounding vocal performance is NOT ET!!!)

Regards,
Ed Foote