ATM scam

Frances Helms fhelms@topeka.k12.ks.us
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:46:29 -0500

This message came to me through the school server in the district where
I have a tuning contract.  I wanted to share the info. but didn't know
how to copy and merge it into my personal e-mail so am sending it
through the district server.  I am told that viruses can be transmitted
via any attachment, so I copy and paste.
Fran (Kansas)     <fhelms@network.net>
                            <fhelms@topeka.k12.ks.us>

Subject: BE CAREFUL

GOOD AFTERNOON FRIENDS. I WISH YOU ALL A GOOD DAY.

WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT?

Subject: ATM SCAM - Please read this one

The latest ATM scam involves thieves putting a thin, clear,
rigid plastic 'sleeve' into the ATM card slot. When you insert
your card, the machine can't read the strip, so it keeps asking
you to re-enter your PIN number.

Meanwhile, someone behind you watches as you tap in your number.
Eventually you give up, thinking the machine has swallowed your card
and you walk away. The thieves then remove the plastic sleeve
complete with card, and empty your account. The way to avoid this is
to run your finger along the card slot before you put your card in.
The

sleeve has a couple of tiny prongs that the thieves need to get the
sleeve out of the slot, and you'll be able to feel them.

The police would like as many people as possible to be aware of this
scam, so pass this on to your friends.

Simon V. Ty
Detective

SAN DIEGO POLICE DEPARTMENT