Not Home

Michael Musial musepiano@hotmail.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:01:20 +0000

Hi Tommy

>I never, never, ever enter a house unless the client is home. I will not
>place myself in a position to be suspect for robbery or damage to the
>clients property. Therefore, the client must be present for me to help them
>and I always like for the customer to hear the piano and offer their
>"blessing" for a great job.

I would never enter an empty house for the first tuning. I
really need to know the customer before I am comfortable
doing that. The initial contact with a customer is essential
in establishing their trust in me, my abilities and their
understanding of the basic aspects of piano service.
Also, a first time customer's piano usually needs
other work besides tuning. I am always surprised at the
things that other tuners will just let slide by without
addressing. I will not do any extra work without explaining
to the customer what needs done.

That said, when I DO make arrangements to let myself in I
require that a check be waiting for me when I arrive. This
confirms that the customer remembered that I was coming and
protects me in case a neighbor comes by and asks me what the
heck I am doing. If the check is not there, I leave.

The area I live in has a low crime rate. I have never had a
problem making this type of arrangement in the 26 years
that I have been working here. If I lived and worked in a
larger city I imagine I would adopt your policy too.

Michael Musial
Reedsville Pa