C fork/A fork

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:18:12 -0500

Thank you, Bradley.
My mentor started me with a C fork (523.3).   I have checked to see if =
the paino was at A440 with an A fork when I finished the tuning, and =
found that A matches the A fork.  About 15 years ago an artist made me =
very nervous about pitch when he placed an electronic keyboard on top of =
the piano (Baldwin SF 10) I had tuned for him, and would play the piano =
with one hand and the keyboard with the other.  After the performance we =
met and talked briefly.  His comments about the tuning were very =
encouraging and since then have seldom checked to see if  my work is at =
A440 after tuning to the C fork. I've never had to go back and retune a =
piano because the pitch was incorrect.  I didn't understand the math =
behind the pitch.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bradley M. Snook=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 10:33 PM
  Subject: Re: C fork/A fork

  Tommy, you can use any note you want if you are tuning EQT. It sounds =
like you are looking for the specific numbers. What is the frequency of =
your C fork?

  If it is 523 then your A4 would be 439.79 (-0.83 cents)
  If it is 524 then your A4 would be 440.63 (+2.48 cents)

  [C5 523.3 would put you right about on A4 440]

  Bradley M. Snook