This week's encounters with Well Temperament

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:18:51 EDT

>Bill Bremmer wrote:
>> The Institute Committees are remarkably consistent with their attitudes
>as  well, it doesn't seem to matter who it is.  If they could get rid of
>the idea  entirely, they would....

Greetings all,
    I will totally disagree with the above.  In three years of presenting
classes on temperaments at our annual convention, I have found the IC to be
more than willing to help.  Laura Olsen and Dale Probst were both
enthusiastic about having the subject presented  and did everything they
could to assist.  Tim Farley has also had numerous pianos made available in
classrooms for his presentations and I don't believe he felt resented or
castigated by the Committee.  I also think I would have been welcomed at the
Chicago convention if I had been able to make it, but Dave Lamoreaux is
prepared and knowledgable and anybody that wants to learn about choices in
tunings will be able to progress a lot from his class alone.
    The PTG has done more for the spread of knowledge inre temperaments than
any other entity I know of,  and it is to their credit that such cutting edge
topics of our trade are put on for the benefit of all.
I will be going to Canada next month to present the "Temperaments for the
21st Century" program at the convention of CAPT.  The idea seems to be an
attractive one to many tuners and the less politics are involved, the faster
the understanding of what it is all about.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT