This week's encounters with Well Temperament

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:46:37 -0700

    Print job #2 coming up. Good thinking Jon.=20

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  There is nothing wrong with an industry standard but when it becomes a =
dictate it erodes an individual's free will.
  Variety is the spice of life.  A temperament is just a temperament; a =
tool to be used. It is not a political or religious
  ideology to be defended with zealous fervor.

  Before I purchased an ETD, I was too lazy to learn a new temperament =
scheme. I did rather well in my aural efforts
  but with the introduction of the ETD the whole operation became easier =
and it broadened my horizon. I suppose there are some
  people who buy a computer and only play solitaire on it. If you have =
an ETD and don't try and HT, you are not realizing the
  full potential of the machine or yourself.

  Believe it or not, most pianos sound better in something other than =
ET. This is not just my opinion but include Julliard graduates
  (real musicians), they prefer the sound of their grand pianos in WT =
not ET.   I did a test: a spinet, console and studio up in my
  shop; all in ET and sounded edgy and harsh. I retuned them in a WT and =
they became sonorous and quite pleasing.