Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:38:35 +0200

Keith Roberts wrote:

> Watch Virgil tune. (Reno convention). He says the  fourths all beat the
> same. Also he tuned 4 octaves beatless. The piano sings. I didn't know
> enough to really understand Dr. Sanderson's explanation of his tuning. Did
> any one else take that class?
> Keith R

Really ?? I suspect that there is another way of looking at
beats then counting the beat rates of individual
coincidents. To be sure in this perspective the notion of a
beatless 4 octaves is meaningless... or what ? In Virgils
own explanation of the natural beat he seems to refute the
usefullness of tuning by octave types per se. I would think
his perspective on 4ths then is likewise not the same as the
actual difference in HZ between the 3rd and 4th partials in
fourths.

I would like to read someones notes on Dr Sandersons class
for sure.

Ricb