Pitch Raises

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:36:52 EDT

List,

I don't know who started the thread or where it came from but these questions
come up often.  I have 2 apprentices who both think as a lot of people do:
they just can't get over the idea of 2 or more passes being required in
virtually all tunings.  The answer to "How much does the piano have to be
*off* for it to need 2 tunings?" is, 1 iota or any amount at all.

If I'm doing a concert tuning and the initial A is right on pitch, I still
may do 3 passes.  To think that any ETD or method will raise the pitch of a
piano 1/2 step and have it be "in tune" is just wishful thinking.  Remember
what the late George Defebaugh used to say,  "You can tune a piano a lot
faster, easier and better twice than you can fight with it once".  I wouldn't
ever start to even hope that a piano raised 1/2 step would be in tune in any
less than 4 passes, yet I could get all of them done in as little as one
hour.  So could any number of other people I know who write on this list.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin