wim/pitch raise experiment

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:50:18 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bigeartb@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 8:36 PM
Subject: wim/pitch raise experiment

> List:
> Not long ago I raised the pitch on a Baldwin Console (approx.1970 yr) from
> 1/2 step flat to A440. The instrument sounded wonderful.  A few days later
>  received a call from the client who said the piano sounded "funny". After
> short conversation with the client and an inspection of the instrument
....as
> Paul Harvey says, "here is the rest of the story". The next day the client
> had the carpet "steam cleaned". The steamer steamed real....real good on a
> stain on the carpet next to the piano. The pressure from the sound board
> "ripped" the nose bolt from the frame and the harp broke. Now I always
tell
> clients get your carpet cleaned at your own risk. By the way, I gave them
> their money back and bought the piano for parts. That has only happened to
me
> one time in 25 years and I hope never to see that again....but on all
"pitch
> raises" I'm reminded of this event.
>
> Tommy Black
> Birmingham, Ala. Chapter

I also had a Baldwin console plate break on me during a pitch raise -- there
was a weak spot in the casting and after the break (sounded like a rifle
shot and the piano teacher owner came running in shouting, "What was
THAT!?"), there was a small pile of sand on the bottom board directly below
the break.  Someone must've kicked the mold during the casting or something.
    But in your post, something doesn't sound right:  the nose bolt
"anchors" one area of the plate to a backpost, or keeps it from arching up.
But the nosebolt passes right through a hole in the soundboard -- I don't
see how "soundboard pressure" could rip it out of a backpost (a frame
member).  If the plate broke ("arched") outwardly (toward the player), it
could have pulled the nosebolt out of its hole in the backpost, especially
if the threads weren't cutting very deeply into the wood.
    Anyway, I regret you had that experience and yes, it was fortunate they
had the carpet steamed the next day (grin, wipe brow, shake sweat off index
finger).   I was lucky -- the piano was less than 10 years old and still
under warranty.  Baldwin replaced the plate, restrung it and paid shipping
one way.    --David Nereson, RPT, Denver