Kimball Sells Bosendorfer

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:34:32 EST

Kimball International Increases Focus On Core Competencies; Sells
Boesendorfer Piano Subsidiary

Business Editors

JASPER, Ind.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 10, 2002--Kimball International, Inc.
(Nasdaq:<A HREF="aol://4785:KBALB">KBALB</A>) announced today that the company has agreed to sell its
Boesendorfer piano subsidiary, located in Vienna, Austria, to BAWAG-Bank of
Austria. The sale, which is subject to Austrian regulatory approval, is
expected to be finalized within the next 60 days. BAWAG-Bank has a history of
supporting the arts and is dedicated to preserving the heritage of this world
famous manufacturer of custom designed and handcrafted musical instruments.

Doug Habig, Kimball International CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors
declared, "We are very pleased that we have been able to find an "Austrian
solution" and that this legendary music company will return to Austrian
ownership. We know this has been an area of keen concern and a desire of the
employees themselves."

Noting the company's long-term strategic business plans, Habig stated, "
While we have enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with Boesendorfer, our
core business has gradually shifted away from the music industry...This move
is a further indication of our commitment to focus our resources on our
furniture and electronics businesses - our core competencies."

In the past, Kimball has carefully divested other business operations which
were no longer integral to its core business, such as a small home furniture
operation focused on Victorian and French period reproduction pieces, and
most recently, a cutting tools manufacturing plant and service center.

Proceeds from the sale of the Boesendorfer subsidiary are expected to be used
for general corporate purposes, including funding for strategic initiatives
designed to accelerate sales growth and improve quality and efficiencies. The
gain on the sale is estimated to be $0.21 to $0.24 per Class B share and is
expected to be recorded in the Company's fiscal 2002 third quarter, which
will close on March 31, 2002.

Ron Thyen, Senior Executive Vice President, Operations Officer for Kimball
International, has overseen the Austrian subsidiary for many years, and
explained that, "Boesendorfer is a jewel, a true musical legend...but it no
longer fits our long-term strategic plans...However, we want Boesendorfer to
be in good hands. We're very pleased that the new owners will continue to
nurture and maintain the Boesendorfer name and excellent quality reputation
in the music industry. "

Kimball ceased its domestic Kimball brand piano operations in 1996, and
aligned those capacities into its contract furniture and cabinets
manufacturing group. However, the Company retained the Boesendorfer
operations which Kimball had originally acquired in 1966, under the
leadership of Kimball founder Arnold F. Habig, who was honored by the
Austrian government for his efforts to strengthen and preserve this
tradition-rich piano manufacturer.

Considered by many to be the world's most prestigious piano, only
approximately 150 Boesendorfer pianos are brought into the United States each
year. Requiring 62 weeks to produce a single piano, only 550 pianos are
crafted annually. To this day, each Boesendorfer is hand made in Vienna by
master craftsmen using the same techniques that have been proudly handed down
through generations.

Boesendorfer Klavierfabrik GmbH, is headquartered in Vienna, Austria, "The
City of Music", and still operates near where the company was originally
founded by Ignaz Boesendorfer. A second production facility is located in
nearby Wiener Neustadt. Since 1828, Boesendorfer's mission has been to create
the ultimate hand-made musical instrument. Combining the pleasure of musical
perfection with the knowledge of a secure capital investment, well maintained
Boesendorfer grands are famous for retaining their value.

BAWAG (Bank fur Arbeit und Wirtschaft =Bank for Labor and Industry) is an
Austrian multi-purpose bank and an active member of democratic Austrian
society with the objective of serving the general economic, social and
cultural good through its actions, including support of the arts. BAWAG
focuses on intensive individual customer service, providing high quality
financial services and building long-term customer relationships. Founded in
1922, BAWAG now has 154 branches across Austria.

Kimball International, Inc. (NASDAQ:KBALB) provides a vast array of products
from its two business segments: the Furniture and Cabinets Segment and the
Electronic Contract Assemblies Segment. The Furniture and Cabinets Segment
manufactures furniture for the office, residential, lodging, and healthcare
industries and store display fixtures, all sold under the Company's family of
brand names. Other products produced by Kimball on a contract manufactured
basis include store fixtures, television cabinets and stands, audio speaker
systems, residential furniture and furniture components. The Electronic
Contract Assemblies Segment is a global provider of design engineering,
manufacturing, packaging and distribution of electronic assemblies, circuit
boards, multi-chip modules and semiconductor components on a contract basis
to customers in the transportation, industrial, telecommunications, computer
and medical industries.

To learn more about Kimball International, Inc., visit the Company's website
on the Internet at: www.kimball.com

"Kimball International ... We Build Success!"

--30--djl/clv*

CONTACT:  Kimball International, Jasper

Martin Vaught, 812/482-1600

mwvaugh@kimball.com

KEYWORD:  INDIANA

INDUSTRY KEYWORD:  MANUFACTURING COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS HARDWARE RETAIL
ADVISORY CONFERENCE CALLS

SOURCE:  Kimball International

Today's News On The Net - Business Wire's full file on the Internet

with Hyperlinks to your home page.

BW2045  JAN 10,2002

4:10 PACIFIC

7:10  EASTERN