Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:39:58 0000

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:01:59
 Ron Nossaman wrote:

>http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/waveguide/Dynamic_Terminations.html
>

>When a traveling wave reflects from the bridge of a real stringed
>instrument, the bridge moves,
>transmitting sound energy into the instrument body. How far the bridge
>moves is determined by the
>driving-point impedance of the bridge, denoted . The driving point
>impedance is the ratio
>of Laplace transform of the force on the bridge  to the velocity of motion
>that results .
>
>Ron N

Ron,
I don't know if you saw a reference I gave last week about the violin bridge.
I thought the point of it was that the violin top is physically moving in direct
response to the input from the string, but no one seemed to notice.  I went
back and had another look.  Here's the reference:

http://www.speech.kth.se/qpsr/tmh/96-4-009-013.pdf

They measure the movement of the violin top with holography and also with
accelerometers.  The resolution of the equipment appears to be .1 milliseconds
or one ten thousandth of a second.  The motions of the string and bridge and
top which they detect seem to occur over much larger periods of time than this
so this should give a pretty good indication of what's going on.

Here are a few quotes:

The time history of the body deflections from impulse excitation of a violin has
holographically been registered.

Deformations resulting from the initial impulsive force...

A resulting initial motion of dipole character in the top plate...

For the impulse excitation as in fig 1, the top plate bulges at the treble foot
and curves in at the bass foot.  The bulging and curving in start at the bridge
feet and grows thereafter both in height and width...

The bulging and curving in represent a travelling wavefield..

After some time, reverberating standing waves show up...
--
Also there are some graphs showing velocity measured at the bridge feet.
-----

Phil F