Pitch Again

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:59:04 -0800 (PST)

In my opinion, yes, if I am going to play along with
recordings or with fixed-pitch instruments, I want a
piano that's tuned to 440.
If the recording is not tuned to 440 (I have several
laying around at home that are flat -- like 50 cents
or even upwards of 200 cents flat), I want the piano
either tuned 50 cents flat, or to some pitch so I can
transpose the piano music.

If I'm just playing around for fun, I don't mind
having a piano that's off pitch, but If I had the
choice between going sharp or going flat (even if it
would be going flatter than sharp, say -100 cents vs.
+30 cents), I would choose to tune it flat.