Baldwin 6000 scale question

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:07:12 -0800 (PST)

I've never seen one of these pianos in person, but I
am curious about the scale.  I've heard it has 4 plain
trichords on the bass bridge.  Basically, my question
is how many notes are on the bass bridge, and which
notes have how many strings per note?

Baldwin's website says that strings 1 to 48 are wound.
 Assuming that 10 of those are single-string notes,
that leaves 38 wound strings.  38 divided by 2 is 19.
If the scale is like that, then notes A0 to F#1 would
be single string and G1 to C#3 would be double string.
 With four plain wire notes on the bass bridge, that
would put the break between F3 and F#3, a 33-note
bass.  That seems very odd to me, that a large upright
would have the break so high up and have a string
length longer than the height of the cabinet.
Does this piano have any wound trichords?  Or, what IS
the scale on this thing?  I want to guess that it has
a 30-note bass with the highest wound note being A#2,
and having a few wound trichords, but I'm not sure,
not ever having seen one.  Can someone educate me on
this?

Also, does anyone know of a good way to find out what
it sounds like?  My local piano dealer isn't carrying
the Baldwin line at this time, although I suppose I
could check into another dealer.