hammer softening liquid

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 07:37:21 -0500

Brian,
I too would stick with needles on this one. Baldwin hammers are not stapled
and I had several situations in the past
with school practice room pianos where the hammers were as hard as rocks. I
tried this solution and yes the solution did soften the hammer but I  also
ended up with some hammers popping apart.
The Baldwin hammers are notorious for weakness in the hammer structure and
adding water based solutions only weakens it that much more.
Just my opinion and experience.
Tom Servinsky,RPT

> Brian:
>
> Did you say that the customer didn't want you to use needles, or were you
> asking if there was a way to do it without needles?  I read your message
> mean the later.  My advice is use needles.  The small voicing tool for
> uprights made by Yamaha (held between your thumb and forefinger) with a
> single needle in it will give you enough maneuverability to work
> effectively.  Liquids are a shortcut to disaster if you don't know what
> you're doing and it is likely not the best approach anyway.
>
> David Love

method..............you