Tuning Time

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:37:52 EST

List,

This has been a healthy and productive discussion.  First let me agree with
and underscore those who have said that time spent may be relative.  I have
noticed too that I often spend *more* time "polishing" as Susan put it, a
really good piano which is hardly out of tune at all.

It reminds me of the "Measure" button on the SAT.  To a certain extent, the
farther off pitch a note is, the faster this feature zeros in on it.  When
tuning a typical console that is typically out of tune, I can often get to
the proper pitch with just one quick stroke of the tuning hammer during the
first pass.  This is precisely the goal as George Defebaugh used to teach it.
 There is no point in taking any longer.  This procedure which really need
not take more than 15 minutes sets the piano up to really take a good, stable
tuning.  If you are lucky, that first pass yields many if not most strings
already in tune, needing no correction.  Since it doesn't take much time to
*not* have to tune a string, the fine tuning may not take very long either.

On the other hand when working at the very highest level, I may listen to
unisons for a long period just to see if there is any "roll" at all.  I may
strike a key forcefully several times just to see if I can get it to budge or
not.  Ironically, this can take much longer than just popping a string which
is substantially off right up to where it belongs.

Tuning is an art, yes but we full timers make a living by practicing our art.
 To a truly affluent person, the amount the best of us may get for a tuning
is "peanuts".  To make a good living, we all must work quite hard.  Not
everybody wants to work that hard but that usually means a more modest
lifestyle too.  This means cranking out tuning after tuning or as, the case
may be, pinblock after piblock or soundboard after soundboard.

When I was doing rebuilding, it used to take me about 15 hours to get a piano
strung and chipped to pitch.  If you've ever watched a factory stringer, they
work at amazing speed and with superb accuracy too.  It only takes them a few
hours.  One of the most important things I learned at the Kimball factory
seminar in 1982 was that if I really wanted to be tops in my profession, I
needed to be able to do virtually everything I do with the speed, accuacy and
consistency that a factory worker has.  I worked on that goal so today, not
only can I tune with great speed but align and regulate too.

Sometimes we have to do a job for a certain price, knowing we'll not get any
more.  Speed gets that low profit job behind us.  One good example for me was
getting the school accounts.  Here, they like to buy Yamaha P-22's.  While I
can think of many pianos I like better, I like them because they are easy to
service.

These pianos come into the schools and get their first "free" tuning, then
six months later the same guy comes back, does the second 15 minute tuning,
checks all the boxes on the card that goes back to the factory, fraudulently
signs his name indicating that all of that work was done and collects his
$35.  I know this is what is done and many other people have indicated
similar observations.

I make this situation work for me.  After these two "free" tunings, the
teacher is glad she can finally call me and pay twice what the other guy got
(but which is still below my usual fee) because somehow, the piano just seems
so much better after I have serviced it.  It seems so because it is.

On a Yamaha P-22, I can do the first pitch raise pass, tighten all hammer
flanges and align as necessary, pull out the pedal rods, take out the action,
tighten all wippen and damper flanges, replace the action and adjust all of
the capstans, replace the pedal rods and adjust the pedal action, then do a
complete fine tuning in 55 minutes.

Many of these pianos have had a problem with loose hammer heads.  I can solve
that problem when the action is out in about 3 additional minutes by putting
a drop or two of thin CA glue at the hammer joint with the action turned
upside down.  Even let off can be adjusted in just a few minutes.  There is a
technique for speed and accuracy for everything.

Certainly, what I do in such a case in the *usual* amount of time that it is
expected to take ends up having vastly different results than my competition
provides.  Not only is my tuning far more accurate and stable but it is
uniquely crafted, a style which only *I* know how to do.  The competition's
is a one pass attempt that ends up being a sloppy and unstable Reverse Well.
Guess whose makes better music?

Add that to the positive benefits of the other services I provide and the
difference is like night and day.  So, I am the one who is called back to
service the piano time and again.  Because I have invested the work which was
supposed to have been done in the first place, I have a piano which plays
better and holds up longer.  There will be many times thereafter when I can
go in and be done in a half hour.  If there are two or more pianos, I
multiply my earnings accordingly.  Yes, I can go in after school is out at 3
PM, tune 3 or 4 pianos surpassing the standards of anyone else around and be
home in time for the evening news at 5:30.

The piano that didn't get that extra work will start to sound very poorly
much more quickly and may well have excessive wear and tear because it was
not properly serviced in the first place.  The poor fool who then has to try
to correct all of that for the low fee that the school will pay has painted
himself into a corner.  He hasn't got the skills I have because he hasn't
ever practiced them and developed them to the degree that I have.  I can
often get the schools to pay where others can't for reconditioning that takes
a few hours and really get what my time is worth because I have the
reputation for turning out a good "product".  There is music now being taught
on many a piano which had previously been considered "junk".

These are a few of the reasons why speed, accuracy and consistency are
important.  A novice should not expect to be able to develop this kind of
skill in just a few months or even years.  It takes a lifetime commitment.
There is certainly nothing wrong with taking two hours to tune a piano if
that's what it takes to get it right.  It used to take me that long too.  The
speed came with years of persistent effort.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin