tuning speed

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:00:11 -0800 (PST)

Ok, so 2 passes is always better than one.

Here's part of my question -- when a piano is, within,
say, 2 or 3 cents, is one pass OK?  Or, what is the
max it can be off before two passes is recommended?

Also, what is the farthest flat for a piano to be
before you all might recommend three passes (one up to
pitch with no overpull, second with overpull, third
fine tune)?  Also, is there ever any case where
someone would recommend four or more passes?  (We'll
assume that the pinblock and bridges are in fair
condition (good enough to take a pitch raise).)