my own Soundboard

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:07:18 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 16, 2002 4:57 AM
  Subject: Re: my own Soundboard

  So then you are gluing up your 24" subpanels after they have been =
planed to the soundboard's final thickness (not counting edge tapering)? =
Can one edge glue accurately enough to get a real even =
subpanel-to-subpanel joint (no step from one to the other)? I was =
envisioning gluing up a whole soundboard panel that was thicker than =
needed and then (after driving the panel to a shop with BIG =
sanders/planers) running the whole thing through a planer device to get =
your nice consistent final (before tapering) thickness. If I am =
understanding your process, you do the above on your smaller subpanels, =
but then when you have glued your subpanels together, you do any slight =
evening up by a hand plane or sanding (or maybe even that is not =
needed?)? Thanks.

  Terry Farrell

No. We thickness to 9 mm then sand to final thickness. We have a large =
stroke sander that makes the job a bit easier.

We did try a drum sander once but without much success. The spruce =
gummed it up pretty bad. I'd be interested on the experience of others.

Del