Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:43:07 -0800

I recently assessed a Baldwin D with accu hitch pins.  After measuring =
the bearing in several places I found that the piano generally was set =
up with negative rear bearing (Lowell Gauge).  I am considering =
adjusting the rear bearing in order to get the overall bearing where I =
want it.  What is the general procedure for doing this?  Does one =
measure each string in each section?  Or is there a way to set the end =
strings, for example, of each section and somehow put all the strings on =
the same plane?  Do you have to let off the tension to move the string =
down (in this case) the hitch pin?  Or can I just tap it down with a =
brass rod?  Input is appreciated.

David Love