Soundboard/Rim Clamps

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:05:22 -0500

Hey Greg. The clamp at the URL I sent is simply a clamp that appears =
very similar to the clamp I had found nearby to me. It is not the same =
clamp. It is not from that (URL) source. The clamp I found does indeed =
cost only $7.

I also looked at the K type clamps. The ones I looked at, when you put =
some pressure on them, the jaws did not remain parallel to one another - =
the formed a small but significant angle. Yours may well be better.

My attraction to, and reason for trying to evaluate these others further =
is the $7 X 25 =3D $$$ factor.

As far as digging into the rim underside - a little block between clamp =
and piano solves that problem.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 8:37 PM
  Subject: Re: Soundboard/Rim Clamps

  Terry,=20
      The URL you sent has the clamp listed at  $26.99. My thoughts are =
that the K body clamp has a built in plastic pad surface and it's wider  =
to grab a larger surface area to prevent slipping. You wrote that it =
only cost $7 but the savings was $7 not the cost. The reach is greater =
on your clamp than the "k" body but the iron jaw could easily dig in the =
underside of the rim. I have 2) 12" clamps of the style you offer and =
like them a lot. They are very strong. I just thought that the extra pad =
protection was worth the effort of ordering the "K" bodies. I paid =
roughly the same for the same length clamp.=20
  Greg=20

  Farrell wrote:=20

    I am hoping someone might have some input regarding suitability of =
some=20
    clamps I have found at a hardware store for clamping a new =
soundboard to the=20
    rim during gluing. A clamp that appears nearly identical can be =
viewed at:=20
    =
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002245H/ref%3Dnosim/toolstoolst=
oo-=20
    20/103-5531792-1187059=20
    Greg - these are the clamps I was referring to.=20

    The clamp I am considering has a reach of 4-3/4" from the inside of =
the bar=20
    to the center of the screw adjuster thingee (I believe it is =
referred to as=20
    a 5-inch clamp). The bar is 24" long, 1-1/8" wide, and 1/4" thick. I =
put a=20
    36" version of this clamp on a 32' wide table at the hardware store =
and=20
    torqued down on the screw adjuster thingee and was only able to bow =
the bar=20
    perhaps a quarter-inch - maybe 3/8". So I would think that one of =
these=20
    clamps only opened to 14 inches or so, like you would typically have =
on a=20
    piano soundboard installation, you would find very little bow indeed =
(is=20
    that not the worry with a too-light-duty clamp?).=20

    What makes or breaks a clamp for installing a soundboard? Enough =
reach?=20
    Strong enough bar? What else?=20

    These clamps are significantly heavier duty that the orange bar =
clamps that=20
    you common see at Home Depot type places. Not a whole lot more heavy =
duty,=20
    but a significant step up. Still a far cry from a $60 hand made =
German=20
    clamp. But I suspect they will do just fine. Any opinions?=20

    So maybe I should buy one. And do what with it? How can I reasonably =

    evaluate it without just buying 40 of them and putting in a =
soundboard? Any=20
    ideas? Any thoughts Greg?=20

    I think this clamp is A-OK. It only costs $7. I would sure like to =
find out=20
    that it is A-OK, but I also don't want to find out the hard way that =
it is=20
    just a tad weak on performance in this application. Thanks for any =
input.=20

    Terry Farrell

  --=20
  Greg Newell=20