"Farrell"/moisture meters

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:44:05 -0500

>From the Electrophysics Moisture Meter web page:
http://www.electrophysics.on.ca/

"At Electrophysics you can choose from a wide range of Pin Type and Pinless
moisture meters.
All our meters incorporate rugged reliable solid-state electronic components
and modern advanced integrated circuits. In the critical moisture range of
6% to 12%, pin-type meters are accurate to half of one percent, while our
pinless meters are accurate to one percent, and we offer a two year
unconditional guarantee. All models use standard, readily available, 9-volt
batteries. Complete information, instructions, and batteries, are included
with every meter.

>From the makers of the most accurate moisture meter tested in the extensive
review by Fine Woodworking, April 1994."

I should think that the pin-less type only being accurate to 1% might not be
real desirable, but the pin-type that are accurate to 1/2% is getting to
where it would be giving good information. And certainly if you were to
monitor the environment, use those graphs to figure out what the MC should
be, based on temp and RH, then see what it is with the moisture meter. Do
that several times and you can see how consistent your moisture meter is.
You may for instance observe that it is always 0.8% off, but if it is
consistently 0.8% off, you can simply do a simple correction for better
accuracy.

I'd kinda hate to be poking little holes all around a panel though.

And these meters indicate that work down to 1" depth in the wood. I wonder,
if your board is 1/2" thick, might the thin board throw the meter off - less
thickness, less resistance, or somesuch?

Terry Farrell