perfect pitch

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 19:34:11 -0600

At 05:20 PM 03/07/02 -0400, Dave R wrote:

>HazenBannister@cs.com wrote:
>  What I  was wondering is,what is perfect pitch
>related to? Is it equal temperament,or some other
>temperament.
>
>Dave R:    Yes and no.
>
>     Perfect pitch is related to whatever a person has
>been exposed and trained to. Perfect pitch is
>extrodinary memory for these pitches as a person has
>become accustomed to hearing and expecting them to
>sound.

 From the research I've read I suspect it is slightly more than that.
Here are some links about perfect pitch which may be helpful:

http://ww2.mcgill.ca/psychology/levitin/grove.html
http://www.apnet.com/inscight/03161998/grapha.htm
http://www.sunflower.org/~bhugh/perfect-pitch-2.spm
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9605/19/perfect.pitch/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/02/010222074848.htm
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/perfectpitch.html

>PS: does anyone here know the range of a tuba.??? :)

With a good arm and the right wind maybe 4 metres?

Seriously though, it's F1 to F4 on the piano keyboard.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html