hammers

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:18:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/4/2002 3:59:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cadunn@vt2000.com writes:

> Subj:re: hammers
> Date:7/4/2002 3:59:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:cadunn@vt2000.com">cadunn@vt2000.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>        Hi Clair

        Jims point of view is right on for several reasons I'd like to
attempt to clarify.
    First the hard soft discussion could be framed by the average consensus
of how much needling or juicing a certain brand/style of hammer generally
requires. Simply take a poll And it would become more or less clear.
   Keep in mind however that this issue can be compounded by the fact that
hammer making isn't like making aunt Sallies cookies recipe which can be
precisely measured and quantified.
    The quality,density and stiffness of the felt sheets ordered to make
hammers with can vary from sheet to sheet and  does cause variability in the
sets of hammers produced. Coupled with variables in hot pressed hammers,
which use steam to densify the felt,densities can and do vary.
  By the way the distinction between hot and cold pressing Is simply that one
method uses steam or moisture to densify the felt around the molding and the
other uses pressure.
    However ALL hammer Makers cauls are heated to help cure the glue. A 100
degrees or more.
   An example of variables would be a set of Renner blues that instead of
needling I needed to juice the bass and low tenor a  bit to get the tone
desired. I've only needled these hammers lightly once in 15 years under heavy
teacher use by the way. Also this was back when Lloyd Meyer was just starting
Renner USA  and he was trying get his product consistency where he wanted it.
    However I submit that this is not the experience many have had. I think
the Renner concept and the technical community will agree that by in large
this is a hammer that will require some extensive needling and the resultant
tone pleases many.
    Too hard/Stiff hammers abound in most makes of pianos and the resulting
tone is harsh and unpleasant but primarily because they're not voiced well
enough.
   Any hammer brand should not get a bad rap because of lack of effort or
ineffienct  methods  the don't optimize the potential of hammer or piano.
   The other end of the hammer density spectrum are hammers that are pressed
differently and are what I refer to a more uniform density hammers. There are
only three I know of and each is different. I call them this because if one
probes them with needles thru the side or shoulders the resistance of the
felt is the same or similar whereas hot pressed hammers are extremely stiff
right above the molding.
   The Ronsen hammer I've written about before and is my usual hammer of
choice. To me it more closely resembles the density of 1920 Stwy hammers.
This is a unique hammer in that I do little voicing to get the desired tone I
like to hear right out of the box.  I often lightly juice the bass with light
solutions to get more tonal growl and bite and at times do some light
needling in octave 4 but only a few stitches mind you. The Ronsen has
different felts, the Abel felt and the Bacon Felt company felt. Which you use
is a matter of preference. Post me privately if you need more info or go to
Ronsens web site
    The Isaac hammer is pressed in a custom made unique press which has the
effect of wrapping the felt around the molding and it is very much a spring.
I frequently had similar voicing experiences as the Ronsen except I usually
needed more but weak solutions of juice. That being said it was difficult to
detect the any juice was used in these hammers when probed with needles and
didn't inhibit there long term voicing stability or ability to be voiced.
    The Stwy factory Hammers are probably the softest of the three but I must
tell you I've used two sets recently One on A A -3 And on an 1920's Stwy L I
just rebellied. Though I used a good deal of variable Lacquer solutions on
the L the piano had a dynamic range that was awesome. I am concerned somewhat
about voicing stability when I use a good deal of lacquer but there are ways
to voice these hammers effectively with needles and also lacquer can be
washed out of the hammer and away from the strike point with acetone.
Hmmmmmmm An acetone flush?  The Stwy A I did so little to get a fabulous
tone. Variablity??  See what I mean? Stwy uses Two different felts Bacon and
American felt company. The American felt is very soft but I've heard the
Concert techs love it for it's adjustably and I can see why but it's a lot
more work. The results are however worth it.
  I'm sure others can chime and clarify some of these points if I've not been
clear which is  often the case.
   Happy voicing Hope this helps