perfect pitch

Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:38:19 -0700

An ongoing study that I know suggests that there is a strong genetic
component to the ability to acquire perfect pitch.  Though there seems to be
a critical period in which the genetically predisposed child must be made
pitch aware in order to achieve perfect pitch, trying to teach it is
probably a waste of time (in spite of what the ads say).

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 04, 2002 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: perfect pitch

In a message dated 04/07/02 8:14:57 AM, rptbob1@ameritech.net writes:

<< I am

now a convert to teaching perfect pitch to all newborn children.

Nah Bob.... don't do it!! :-)
At best, to those who have it, pp is as much of a curse as it is a blessing.
'Pitch' can be taught. I learned to whistle a440 in radio school as did
every
member of that class and I can still nail that pitch today.......but if you
play a random note on a piano I can't tell you what it is unless by lucky
guess..unless that note happens to be a440.
Jim Bryant (FL)