Hammer hardeners: a poll

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 23:42:02 -0400

I've been using plastic for over ten years now, simply because I like
to speed with which plastic cures. I've always dreamed of letting
three films of equal thickness (nitro lacquer, plastic, and shellac)
evaporate on a  glass plate , then peel of strips of equal length and
width, and compare these three materials for resilience and
durability. (I might have to compare them under a microscope.) That
would tell me what I wanted to know about these reinforcers. But it's
still just a dream.

At 1:36 PM -0700 7/4/02, Susan Kline wrote:
>I like shellac, made from ultrablonde flakes. If mixed with 190
>proof alcohol, it dries very fast, and I like the tone better than
>keytop in acetone. Less harsh and brittle. I use very little, near
>the strike area. I've never used it to build up hammers from scratch.

Real quick, Susan, what's the formula? You say flakes and (is that,
moonshine?). What pound cut are you mixing the shellac? 3# ( the
commercial strength), 5#? And what further dilution is done with this
(say, RicB's 10:1 lack)? If I know tomorrow, I'll use it tomorrow, if
not then, on Monday.

Muchos Thanquos In Advance,

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Trust me, you've got all the equipment, You just need to read the manual"
     ...........Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde"