Front Ril Pins

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 13:59:31 -0400

At 12:44 PM 7/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 7/6/2002 6:25:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>jonpage@attbi.com writes:
>
>    Jon Page writes
>>Otherwise, I'm looking at lowering the key height by 1/4". There's room
>>at the keyslip and I'd have to install a thicker
>>nameboard felt. Lowering the key height would also bring the b/r pins out
>>of the slot by 1/8" (they're flush or recessed now).
>
>   Jon
>   Obviously the balance rail pin being buried says the keyboard wasn't
> set up properly. Don't you just hate that?
>      Dale

That's my take on it.

If I install more felt under the back rail, I'll have to readjust the
underlevers
and their juxtaposition to the keystick may be compromised.

There is a lot of cardboard punchings under the f/r felt. So much so, to
bring the felt
punching 3/8" from the end of the pin hence no pin in the mortice. Plenty
of space to
the key slip as well. There is not problem with lowering the height, it
will even make
the action play a little lighter by decreasing the incline at which the key
rests.

I tried raising one pin but it did not leave enough in the frame for long
term stability.
All things considered, a piano of this top quality should not have this
irregularity to begin with.
Installing a taller pin would be fudging but relaying the touch would be
better all around.
Hearing of no supplier for taller pins, I'll recommend getting it
right.  The key height is presently
slightly over 2 3/4" from the bottom of the keyframe.
We'll see what transpires between the customer-dealer-manufacturer.

It's beginning to look like we are also the customer's last line of defense
against manufacturer's and dealer's
complacency. That's the American work ethic for you.

It was fortunate that the customer requested my servicing the piano rather
than the dealer-supplied tech
because chances are that the 'company-man' would let it slide, if the
customer doesn't notice - don't tell.
I've seen pianos beyond the warranty period which the dealer-tuner no
longer services and have pointed
out defects which should have been reported, too late now.

That's why I can't work for a dealer, if they do not want conscientious
service, I'm out the door...

Speaking of which...I have to go tune the aforementioned piano and give the
customer the good news
about having to hassle with a dealer to get warranty service.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com