rib radius

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:38:23 -0400

Allan,
         You answered my follow up question as to what kind or size piano
we were talking about. The general consensus that I get is the act that
there is no general consensus. Kind of the old ask 10 piano tuners there
opinion and you come away with 12 opinions. The generality seems to be more
in the bass and less in the treble. Fanned or straight? Where should they
cross the ribs? should there be anything in between the ribs (mini ribs ala
Darrell Fandrich)? Like rib radius it seems to be that less crown is
desired in the treble and more in the bass. Do you desire more front crown
than rear or even and why and should that change in different areas of the
board? There are many questions such as these that you colleague should
consider before making a board. If you've been reading a while you might
remember that I too am in the same process as your colleague. While these
questions shouldn't paralyze them with fear so much that it never gets
done, these and more should perhaps be considered before it is built. Not
the least concern I have is learning to properly understand and record what
I do so I can hope to determine what to change if I don't get the desired
result. For more in depth info on this topic I defer to those on this list
who helped me get as far as I am now. I hope this helps, even if only a
little bit.

regards,

Greg Newell

At 12:18 PM 7/9/2002, you wrote:

>In a message dated 7/9/02 4:56:26 AM, owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:
>
><<
>In What part of the board?
>
>Greg Newell
>
>At 05:40 PM 7/8/2002, you wrote:
> >Dear List,
> >
> >A colleague is making a soundboard from scratch and asked for a recommended
> >radius for the curvature of the ribs.  Any and all responses would be
> >appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Alan Eder, R.P.T.
>  >>

>Greg,
>
>Good question.  How about...all of them?  The piano in question is an old
>Steinway upright, 52" I believe, though I will double check that.  He is also
>interested in opinions on downbearing.
>
>Many Thanks,
>
>Alan Eder

Greg Newell