Wire Size Differences

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:16:23 -0500

List.  I'm re-stringing a 1936 Starr Grand and in checking the wire
sizes in the tenor and treble sections I first used a music wire
gauge, purchased from Schaff, and then took readings with a
micrometer.  With the wire gauge, which doesn't measure half sizes, I
get sizes such as 21, 19, 18, 17, etc.  When using the micrometer
those same wire sizes read .046 which would be a 20 1/2 wire size,
.042 which is an 18 1/2, .040 which is 17 1/2 wire size, and .037
which is a 16 wire size.  OK you get the idea.
I did read some time back that the wire sizes in an older piano, such
as this, are going to stetch over time and not give accurate
measurements when one is going to re-string.  Should I stick with the
wire sizes as taken with the wire gauge which will be full sizes and
no half sizes, or punt?.
I would appreciate some discourse on this subject again.  Thanks in
advance to all.  BTW this is my first attempt at trying to make "Old
Grand" look new.  Hammers, shanks, strings, pins, felt, cloth, paint
job on plate, some lip stick, pearls and black boots,  etc., etc.
And yes, I know I won't make any profit on this when I sell it,
probably give it to one of our kids, but it's all a part of my
training and I'm having a lot of fun doing it..   Thanks again,
Gordon Holley, Goshen, Indiana.