One-man piano move?

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:35:15 -0500

Mark,

Leonard, our former chapter president, used to work for a music store. One
day a rather burly man came in, and asked if they took trade-ins.

"Yes," he replied.

"OK, I'll be right back," the man said.

Leonard watched as the man went out to his car, and, by himself, picked up
the spinet out of the trunk. He walked to the door and said, "Where do you
want it?"

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Mark Wisner
  Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 11:39 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: One-man piano move?

  In the book The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by T E Carhart, the author
describes a "baby" grand being moved up a flight of stairs and into his
Paris apartment by a piano mover who strapped the piano across his back,
with the curve resting on his shoulder.  I'd have dismissed this passage as
the meanderings of a clouded and uninformed mind if the author wasn't so
accurate in virtually every other technical aspect of the piano.  Has anyone
ever heard of such a thing?

  Mark Wisner
  Yamaha Corporation
  mwisner@yamaha.com