Lighter or Heavier ?

Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:49:11 -0700

It's hard to say whether there is really an incorrect key ratio.  The =
key ratio is only incorrect in so far as it contributes to an overall =
ratio which is too high or too low.  To simplify, it's really how it =
combines with the knuckle radius that's important.  Whereas a .52 KR =
might not work with a 15.5 mm knuckle radius, it will work fine with a =
17 mm one, generally.  Similarly, a .55 KR, as you sometimes find in =
older Mason Hamlins or Baldwins, will require an 18 mm knuckle to get =
the overall ratio in the 5.5 - 5.9 area where (I think) it belongs.  =
There are, of course, other considerations in choosing this combination =
of levers.  The smaller the knuckle radius the greater will be the =
friction because of the increased weight bearing on the knuckle.  So if =
you are opting for a heavier hammer, you are better off going with a =
longer knuckle radius.  Very light hammers, as are found in older =
Steinways, do just fine with shorter knuckle dimensions without too =
great an increase in friction.  Just a few thoughts.

David  Love=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Servinsky=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 13, 2002 5:23 AM
  Subject: RE: Lighter or Heavier ?

  I there was a "theme" to this year's convention IMHO, it was =
diagnosing key ratios. Between Stanwood's all-day class and Richard =
Davenport's "What if", incorrect key ratios have to be dealt with during =
our rebuilding procedures, or our problems will continue.
  The common plan of attack for a number of years has always been to add =
lead when the key weight is too extreme (high). Even though we get the =
DW down ... something always hinted that we were treating the symptoms =
and not the disease.
  Incorrect key ratio creates a vicious cycle that affects everything. =
We have to learn to understand and correct these problems and make them =
a normal part of the rebuilding procedure.
  Tom Servinksy,RPT=20

   : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf =
Of Erwinspiano@AOL.COM