Today's Puzzler

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:51:21 -0700

Phil, I'm not angry for not winning, since I didn't even get a chance to =
enter the contest, but; to me an underlever hitting the sos-rail doesn't =
sound like a loose hammer head at all. It sounds like a huge BANG!
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Phil Bondi=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 6:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Today's Puzzler

  >   My first (two) guesses would be an improperly adjusted sostenuto =
rod, or
  > possible the damper upstop rail.

  DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

  We have a winner!

  It was the upstop rail..the the underlever was hitting the sos rod on =
a hard
  blow..the funny thing about this puzzler is it only happened in the =
upper
  bass..lower tenor, but the whole rail was waaay too high.

  I can't give this used wedge away for anything...maybe next time.

  Congratulations Dan.

  -Phil Bondi (Fl.)
  tito@philbondi.com