Damper Overring inn Ludwig Upright

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:40:08 -0700

There are some excellent articles by Bill Spurlock in the Journal and on the Journal CD, I believe.  Use something to block the bass strings from sustaining and play the offending note.  If the ringing is gone the bass dampers are the problem, which is typical.  Often they are 1" dampers.  That Yamaha has 2 & 3/8" dampers, I think.  Replacing the bass dampers and regulating will take care of the problem.  If after blocking the strings the offending note still has some ringing, then move that tenor damper up and down and make sure it is seating correctly.  Change it to a bi/tri-chord.  The over-damper is usually the last resort and most often you can fix it before that.
Good luck and be sure to read the Spurlock articles under "Basic Skills" or something like that...
David Ilvedson, RPT

From: <Piannaman@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Damper Overring inn Ludwig Upright

List,

I have a customer who has a nice old Ludwig upright that has a problem with partials being excited because of where the dampers land on the strings--I think.  There is quite a bit of overring when the dampers move back onto the strings.  Isn

I worked on a Yamaha WX-7 today that had the beefiest dampers I've ever seen in the upper bass section, and double dampers just above the break.  No overring there.

The customer would like to get rid of the problem.  Any suggestions on this besides replacing all of the dampers?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Dave Stahl