Understring Felt and Stringing Felt (Braid)

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:34:22 -0500

List.  I'm rebuilding a Starr 5' Grand and have questions regarding
the felt application that WAS used in this piano in 1936 and should I
do anything different today.  I'm having Danny at G.C. Piano,
Scarsborough, Ont., make new bass strings and is rescaling the tenor
and treble.  The strings should be in hand in about a week so I've
got time to order additional felt if needed.
Question 1.  There was no stringing felt, interwoven, used in the non-
speaking lengths of the bass strings between the bass bridge and the
hitch pins. However, there was understring felt, with holes punched
in for the hitch pins, the full length of the bass mono and bi-chord
strings.  Should I now use stringing felt in this position?
Queston 2.  There was no understring felt on the tuning pin side of
the front bearing bar in the non-speaking length, between the bar and
the pins.  I've seen other grands with this application where the
felt, approx. 1/2" width, was snugged up to the side of the bearing
bar.  Again should I now use a felt here in this position.
Would these two felt applications, if felt was now inserted, have an
adverse effect on the sound.
I must admit, this is my first attempt of this magnitude, and I'm
learning.  I've refinished the soundboard, have new hammers and
shanks in hand to install, new pin and bushings to install, new
damper wire guide rail bushings do do yet,  refinished the plate with
Steinway Gold and topcoat in on the way, new pedal rods, plate bolts
polished with a coat of lacquer applied.
Many list members have contributed to the steps with suggestions,
hints, and material sources, and many have said on the list, "If you
can't find the answer, just ask and we'll help".  Well, I'm asking
for some additional help.  And hopefully, being a new born of 18
months, I won't get "Boo'd out of the class" for asking, what the
more experienced ptg members would consider as, such an elemental
question.
And, this is addressed to other "newbees" out there, "Stay the
course, don't be afraid to ask questions, and study and practice over
and over 'till you get it right".
I thank you all for your contributions in advance. Respectfully,
Gordon Holley, Goshen, Indiana.