Fw: Shaft from Schaff on Piano Gold Paint

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:59:36 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/2002 9:13:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cmpiano@attbi.com writes:

               Hi Jeannie Carl
          I'm late on this thread but I'd like to go on record as saying that
I have seen only one plate ever sprayed with a can that looked first class.
Most have a  green or bronzish/brown look that doesn't even vaguely resemble
the original color. Perhaps there are better spray can finishes I'm not aware
of but I frequently refinish plates that have had this treatment  and find
that often the spray canned on finish has turned brittle as well as the under
coat.  This turns into a more complicated job as it isn't prudent to spray a
new finish over an already brittle one. It must be stripped down . Stripping
it is less problematic than sand blasting as the black original under coat is
usually salvageable
        I've found  a blend of bronzing powders from an outfit back east Bob
Corey & associates 516-485-5544 that allows for a variety of bronzing colors.
No.s 99 96 are part of my mix plus a starr product which adds the yellow to
the color. The one we blend is close to many original colors that contain a
quite yellow base. Our mixed color is about the color of polished brass. Two
tablespoons of the mixed powders toa  small spray gun cup of acrylic gloss
lacquer. Its easy to spray (hey I can do it) it covers well. Two coats to
cover and two coats of gloss over that gives a plate finish way better than
most factories put out. This is a resielint chip resistent finish that stays
pliable which avoids the stringer/reassembly damage and looks stunning with a
new finish. This bronze mix can be mixed in nitro cellulose as well but it's
more fragile. This process can be done in a four hours or less not including
stripping. Flame suit on.