Is there any interest? was Re: no comp.

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

I think I get it.

I think I get what Del and others are talking about. I had this epiphany:
Teaching at a convention must be much like being a bride's maid at a
wedding. It's an honor to be asked. In theory, you could say no, but in
general you're happy to do it for those who will appreciate it. It's
somewhat of a pain, and it often involves a significant financial
sacrifice. It would be nice if it weren't expected that you'd make this
sacrifice, and ideally you wouldn't have to.

One of my biggest pet peeves is this idea that a bride can ask someone to
be a bride's maid and then require them to buy an expensive dress they'll
never wear again. My wife just found out how much she has to pay for a
dress for a family wedding she's going to be in. Her jaw dropped. The
nerve of them to think she feels like pissing away this much cash on
something so frivolous! Even if technically someone CAN afford it, there
are plenty of better uses for this kind of money. If a bride wants to have
a fancy wedding such that people have to wear these stupid things, I think
it's rude for the bride not to pay for them herself.

Then I got to thinking... This is just like what Del and others were
talking about regarding teaching at the convention. Maybe we are imposing
on our more knowledgeable members by asking them to make such sacrifices
again and again. Maybe we're being rude.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island - Nassau