Piano Refinishing

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:33:43 EDT

In a message dated 04/06/02 7:54:49 AM, jonpage@attbi.com writes:

<< Even an article about piano moving is relavent.
Regards, >>

Dear Jon.................Actually it should be addressed et al....but I've
always wanted to write a Dear Jon letter! :-)

 There is a dearth of articles in the journal on refinishing for several
reasons....but these are just my opinions........

1. There is an absolute plethora, a bountiful sufficency, a superflurous
abundance,,,, of refininshing books available...workshops to
attend...materials manufacturers literature...........etc. The large majority
of it is very good and very easily obtainable.

2. Unlike piano technical thingees........ refinishing applies across the
board to all furniture type stuff and is 'not' piano specific nor is it
'part' of the piano technicians trade.  It is part of the rebuilders
trade.....but see above No.1.

3. Help is hard to come by for most 'piano' techs without a touchstone of
some description, i.e. colleague in community, pianotech, seminars
etc..........while the woods are full of refinishers who will help a newcomer.

4. While I love Jeannie to death I must disagree with her desire to put
refinishing articles in the Journal. While an occasional piece on a certain
technique or new material would be welcomed by me if I want truly useful in
depth info I will go to where that wheel already exists.................

My view....
Jim Bryant (FL)