Belarus

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:05:52 EDT

ulrich@rangenet.com writes:

> Er, uh, I might not have phrased the question properly; as a matter of fact,
> the customer HAS asked me to be involved. This is a rather unique
> situation, as the "other guy" is coming from about 100 miles away. Should
> the customer have to keep this PSO, I'll in all likelihood be the one who
> has to service it in future years.Whether or not getting involved at this
> point is part of my job description, I disagree. I'm self employed. My job
> description is what I say it is, and when an alledged dealer is trying to
> pull a fast one, I'll step up to the plate for the customer. Personally, I
> believe that it is our responsibility (to a point) to defend the uninformed
> customer against consumer fraud. 99% of my new business is as a result of
> word-of-mouth referrals because to some degree my customer base has come to
> trust me to do a good job and be honest with them. I can't change that
> tactic after this many years of success. This is akin (in my opinion) to
> buying a new car with a leaky radiator and the dealer offers to put a can
> of "Stop Leak" in the system and send you on your way....
>
> At any rate, the question was:  Does anyone on this list see doping a new
> instrument as an appropriate repair for a NEW piano that will not hold a
> tune?  Thanks
>
> Roy Ulrich

Roy

You are not a lawyer. You are a piano tuner. Although there is a problem with
the piano, the real problem is with the relationship between the dealer and
the customer. She was ripped off. The solution the dealer is offering is not
an accepted solution. But it is her piano, and it is her relationship with
the dealer that is the real problem. To use your comparison, you wouldn't ask
your mechanic to do battle with the dealer, would you?

By all means, give your customer advice, and tell her what is wrong with the
piano. But don't represent her with the complaint. The most you can do is go
with her, or be present when the dealer talks to her, just to explain the
technical problems. But she needs to do the talking.

Good luck

Wim