Tuning Complaint - Help!

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:14:33 EDT

HazenBannister@cs.com writes:

> I am curious as to the difference of this temperment,compared to equal
> temperment.Maybe she's not familiar with this ,although it's likely this
> isn't the problem.I was just thinking maybe she's kept her piano tuned in
> equal all these years,and now something new thrown at her.Did you tell her
> you were using a different temperment?I can't wait for Chicago,for an

I wish I had some advice to offer Terry but I think others have the right
idea.  I've had this experience before.  Some people who don't play well find
a freshly tuned piano hard to get used to.  My own younger brother thought
his piano sounded strange after I tuned it.  He had played on it for years in
a disastrous state.  When it was tuned, it sounded so different that he did
not like it at first.

This had nothing to do with temperament, of course.  Just think about it for
a minute Hazen.  This lady did not have a piano that was in ET!  So, she was
not, nor ever was used to only hearing a piano in ET!  If Terry were to now
go to tune the piano in ET, it would not be the solution to the problem and
he certainly would not be tuning the piano *BACK* (as so many people like to
say) to ET!

The one thing I did notice about his post was that he did a 40 cent pitch
raise and "fine" tuning in only 2 passes.  If anything, the piano may still
be a bit rough and unstable but probably not "flat" as she claims.

Unless this piano truly has a structural problem (which is unlikely), it is
all a matter of perception.  I don't think I would have the same opinion of
this piano as Terry does.    Just coincidentally, I tuned a 9 foot Knabe
grand yesterday for a long time customer.  Now, this is a piano which I truly
hate.  It is really awful but the family who owns it is so nice, so gracious,
they have the check written out for me and leave the door open for me, etc.
This time the father was home and was talking about getting the daughter a
Steinway B for a graduation present.  I thought to myself, "Oh, I really hope
so!  I'd rather tune a Whitmore than this old battleship!"

But it is *their* piano and I earn good money taking care of it and get good
referrals from them.  It would certainly be counterproductive for me to say
what I really think about it.  I tune Kimball products fairly often and have
never had the low opinion of them many technicians seem to have.  Most of
them sound reasonably good and are very stable, long lasting instruments.  A
few of them even qualify as being above average in both looks and tone
quality.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin