piano refinishing

Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:03:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Page" <jonpage@attbi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 06, 2002 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: piano refinishing

> At 11:52 PM 6/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> ><snip>... our PTG organization , our PTG Journal and our list is not the
> >place for the person who is only a refinisher. Now, how do we share
chapter 3
> >with those technicians who wish to learn. I guess we don't , can't, or
won't.
> >Evidently furniture refinishers have infiltrated our organization of
highly
> >skilled folks. I didn't know this. Therefore I will keep the secrets of
piano
> >refinishing....secret.
> >
> >Tommy Black
> >Decatur, Ala.
>
> What about the people who are only tuners, or only technicians. Only a
> refinisher...indeed.
> Had I that much ambition. It's easier to tune 100 pianos than to refinish
> one. It pays better too.
>
> Did I miss something? Was this some tongue-in-cheek humor?
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page,   piano technician

Yes, Jon, I believe Mr Black's tongue was firmly in-cheek when he wrote
that. I wonder, too, about the idea that articles on refinishing have no
place in the Journal.

Of course they do.  Information about all aspects of our trade --
profession, if you want to be hi-brow about it -- belongs there. As it does
in our conferences and conventions.

To say we don't need refinishing information in the Journal is much like
saying we don't need information about rebuilding in the Journal. After all,
the only knowledge and/or skills required for passing our current exam is a
basic knowledge -- and a little practice at -- tuning. OK, some basic
proficiency at a few really basic technical repairs and regulating also must
be demonstrated -- but why waste good paper space on more advanced technical
subjects? If one is 'only' a tuner why waste the time getting to know the
inside of the piano?

Because sooner or later every piano is going to end up needing more than
just tuning and basic repairs. (Except, of course, for those that keep
improving with age....) I've encountered all together too many pianos that
have been allowed to fall into pathetic states of disrepair or have actually
been damaged by 'only' tuners who didn't understand what they were doing.
And so has every other rebuilder. Less so today, I hope, because of the
ongoing efforts by PTG to provide a wide variety of education even to those
who are, and wish to remain, only tuners.

Surely the principle applies to refinishing. Perhaps if the 'only' tuner has
a better understanding of the materials, techniques and processes involved
in finishing and refinishing he or she will have a better chance of
correctly advising the piano owner about the care and repair of the piano
finish.

In other words . . . go for it. I'll be waiting to read the results.

Del