Adjusting dampers to tray

Sat, 8 Jun 2002 18:19:54 -0700

The only problem with this method is that it sets the timing for the =
pedal sometimes at the expense of the keys and the sostenuto.  You =
should really set all the damper levers on the same plane first using =
the height of the key end felt as a guide to insure proper timing from =
the keys (this is also needed for even sostenuto action).  Then you =
should make any adjustments necessary with the timing of the key end =
felt.  If there is unevenness in the level of the key end felt, then you =
need to either build up or trim down as needed testing each key.  Once =
that is accomplished, you can then set the lift from the pedal either =
shimming the tray felt or using adjustable capstans if the piano is =
equipped with them. =20

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: June 08, 2002 5:49 PM
  Subject: Re: Adjusting dampers to tray

      Matt, what I do is perhaps the easiest, and usually gets me =
perfect results. ( I like what Roger had to say about installing new =
tray felt) =20
      What I do when I want to re-set damper timing, like when the =
dampers are almost down on the key ends, and lifting immediately, is to =
go under the piano and adjust the pedal rod nut up a bit. Then I come =
back up, put my finger on the top of a damper (lightly) and depress the =
key. The damper will stop the hammer rise where it contacts the back of =
the key. This is how I check the timing. I just raise the pedal rod nut =
until the damper timing is at one third to one half blow distance. Then =
I pull the action, loosen all the damper screws, lift the underlevers, =
making sure they're free. Then you can tap the dampers lightly down into =
position, re-tighten the screws, and re-regulate the pedal nut. After =
correcting the ones that inevitably twist upon tightening the screws, =
you're basically done. You'll inevitably run into some that are a little =
tight on the wire, but not bad enough to run a drill bit down into. just =
lift the underlever up on the wire, and after the dampers are down in =
position, tap the underlever down on the tray lightly.=20
      All you're really doing is setting the timing to the same thing =
that will be lifting the dampers; the tray.=20
      The only problem with this in a Steinway is that often the tray is =
not level. It will end up with a damper timing that's earlier in the =
bass and later in the treble, which is the opposite from what I'd really =
like. I just did this the other day, and after about a half hour's work, =
they all lifted perfectly with the pedal. It's a really good technique. =
Richard Davenport taught me this.  I've probably corrupted his =
technique, so if anyone has a problem with how I described it, blame me, =
not Richard.=20

  Kevin E. Ramsey
  ramsey@extremezone.com
    ----- Original Message -----=20