Adjusting dampers to tray

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 17:49:56 -0700

    Matt, what I do is perhaps the easiest, and usually gets me perfect =
results. ( I like what Roger had to say about installing new tray felt)  =

    What I do when I want to re-set damper timing, like when the dampers =
are almost down on the key ends, and lifting immediately, is to go under =
the piano and adjust the pedal rod nut up a bit. Then I come back up, =
put my finger on the top of a damper (lightly) and depress the key. The =
damper will stop the hammer rise where it contacts the back of the key. =
This is how I check the timing. I just raise the pedal rod nut until the =
damper timing is at one third to one half blow distance. Then I pull the =
action, loosen all the damper screws, lift the underlevers, making sure =
they're free. Then you can tap the dampers lightly down into position, =
re-tighten the screws, and re-regulate the pedal nut. After correcting =
the ones that inevitably twist upon tightening the screws, you're =
basically done. You'll inevitably run into some that are a little tight =
on the wire, but not bad enough to run a drill bit down into. just lift =
the underlever up on the wire, and after the dampers are down in =
position, tap the underlever down on the tray lightly.=20
    All you're really doing is setting the timing to the same thing that =
will be lifting the dampers; the tray.=20
    The only problem with this in a Steinway is that often the tray is =
not level. It will end up with a damper timing that's earlier in the =
bass and later in the treble, which is the opposite from what I'd really =
like. I just did this the other day, and after about a half hour's work, =
they all lifted perfectly with the pedal. It's a really good technique. =
Richard Davenport taught me this.  I've probably corrupted his =
technique, so if anyone has a problem with how I described it, blame me, =
not Richard.=20

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20